Guide to Space Saving Measurements
Here’re some ideas on space saving measurements so you can make every inch count.
Space Saving Tips and Measurements - Tables
• A normal table is usually 2 feet (60 cm) in depth. But a depth of 1.5 feet (45 cm) is also adequate for Asian heights unless you are very tall.
• Create an extra work table by hinging a table top to the wall so it folds down when not in use. A table that does not have legs saves on floor space too.
Space Saving Measurements – TV Consoles
• Traditional CRT TVs need table depth of 2 feet (60 cm).
• Plasma and LCD screens need counter depths of just 1.1 feet (35 cm) to 1.3 feet (40 cm).
Space Saving Tips and Measurements – Walk-in Wardrobe
• A bedroom needs to be at least 19.7 feet (6 m) x 9.8 feet (3 m) to comfortably accommodate a walk-in wardrobe.
• The wardrobe (for 1-2 persons) should measure at least 6.6 feet (2 m) x 4.9 feet (1 m).
• The standard wardrobe depth is 2 feet (60 cm). But going with boutique-style clothes rails and open shelving - no bulky wardrobe backs, doors and sides – requires just 1.5 feet (45 cm), a hefty space saving of just 0.5 feet (15 cm).
• Position wardrobe drawers closer to the floor to increase the sense of space, and also for the ‘boutique feel’.
• Keep partitions thin i.e 1.6 to 2 inches (4 to 5 cm).
Space Saving Measurements - Bathroom
• Storage, for example a mirrored cabinet about the vanity, should not be more than 20 cm in depth.
• Cabinets or shelving directly above the toilet should be hung 1.5 – 2 feet (45 – 60 cm) above the cistern, so you don’t knock your head when getting up.
Space Saving Measurements – Shoe Cabinets
• Normal shoe cabinets need a depth of 1.1 feet (35 cm). Slant the shelves so they fit into a 0.82 feet (25 cm) depth.
Explore the following pages for solutions to maximize space:
Space Organization - for tips and guide on managing your home interior space including space planning and storage ideas for odd spaces.
Home organization tips - for solutions and suggestions on getting organized at home and home storage ideas.
Click on highlighted text to return to the top of space saving measurements.
Like to know more? Click on the following:
Door | Flooring | Walls |
Living Room | Dining Room | Bedroom | Kitchen | Bathroom |
Space Organization | Home Lighting | Home Decor Fabric |
Unique Home Decor Ideas